Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Uprising Day and DL's Public Teaching

March 10th is the annual Tibetan Uprising Day. Ever since HHDL fled Tibet in 1959 there have been protests against the Chinese in Tibet and in exile every year. As I've written about earlier, last year's March 10th uprisings were the most brutal in Tibet since 1959 and lasted almost a week. This year the only pictures we've seen out of Tibet are of Chinese forces entering Tibet in tanks by the thousands. My theory is that very few protests went down in Tibet this year because China has their thumb pressed down on them so hard. Since Uprising Day we haven't heard any news out of Tibet except that there is no news...I'm sure we'll know more in the coming weeks.

Here in exile thousands of Tibetan refugees tried to pile into the Suklakhang (temple) to hear DL's Uprising Day speach. The fam and I got there too late to pack ourselves in with everyone else, so Sangmo and I sword fought with our Tibetan flags until the march started. I got a translation of the speach in a pamphlet and let me tell you, DL made some pretty bold statements about how the Chinese government isn't playing fair.

the Girardia is taking over...I'll write more after I peal myself off of the bathroom floor :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stacey,
    You're in all of our thoughts right now. We're all doing the Amoeba Stomp dance and chanting your name in victory! :)

    ReplyDelete